The Coffman Prize Award Guidelines
The Society for Military History First-Manuscript Prize Submission Guidelines Eligibility:
- The dissertation must have been defended or the PhD degree received in the 2023 calendar year (between 1 January 2023 and 31 December 2023).
- Only English-language manuscripts will be considered. Translations are not eligible for consideration unless the author both translated and annotated the manuscript.
- The text of a submitted manuscript must be at least 250 pages in length.
- Submitted manuscripts should be the record copies filed with the PhD-granting university. Manuscripts may be under contract for publication in the fall of 2024 or later.
- No later than 15 December 2023, the author must submit - a copy of the full manuscript, a 3-5 page précis of the same, and a current curriculum vitae - to Elizabeth A. Coble, chair of the 2024 Coffman First Manuscript Award Committee, at ABNATW@gmail.com.
- The précis must include a statement of the work's thesis and conclusions, its place in the relevant historiography, and any new or underutilized primary source materials or innovative methodologies that shape it.
- All submissions must be double-spaced and submitted in PDF format.
- The Committee will designate the winner on or about 20 February 2024.
- The Society for Military History will present the Coffman First Manuscript Award at its 2024 Annual Meeting, 18-21 April 2024, in Arlington, VA.
Point of Contact:
Colonel, US Army (Retired)
Assistant Professor, US Army Command and General Staff School