Upcoming Articles in The Journal of Military History
Last Updated June 2018
Note: This list includes only those articles scheduled to appear in regular issues of The Journal of Military History. Articles scheduled to appear in special issues of The JMH will be listed separately when the contents of those numbers have been finalized.
- “Decimation and Unit Cohesion: Why were Roman Legionaries Willing to Perform Decimation?” By Elizabeth Pearson.
- “Attila’s Appetite: The Logistics of Attila the Hun’s Invasion of Italy in 452.” By Jason Linn.
- “Power in a Cohort: The Development of Early Scandinavian Military Tactics.” By Are Skarstein Kolberg.
- “The Battle of the Gates of Trajan, 986: A Reassessment.” By Matthew Larnach.
- “The Battle of Ain Al-Mallaha, 19th June 1157.” By Michael Ehrlich
- “’This French artillery is very good and very effective’: Hypotheses on the Diffusion of New Military Technology in Renaissance Italy.” By Fabrizio Ansani.
- “Guibert vs. Guibert: Competing Notions in the Essai Général de Tactique (1770) and the Défense du Système de Guerre moderne (1779).” By Julia Osman.
- “Target New London: Benedict Arnold’s Raid, Just War and ‘Homegrown Terror’ Reconsidered.” By Mark Edward Lender and James Kirby Martin.
- “Perception and Naval Dominance: The British Experience during the War of 1812.” By Kevin McCranie.
- “The Great Silence of Robert E. Lee.” By James Carney.
- “Avast Swabbing! The Medical Campaign to Reform Swabbing the Decks in the U.S. Navy.” By Michael Crawford.
- “The Red Cross, Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Origins of the U.S. Army Nurse Corps in the Spanish-American War.” By David Krueger.
- “The Treatment of Prisoners of War Held by the Greek Army during the Balkan Wars of 1912-1913.” By Panagiotis Delis.
- “Men on the Margins: Representations of Colonial Troops in British and French Trench Newspapers of the Great War.” By Elizabeth Stice.
- “’Not only useless but dangerous?’ The Portuguese Expeditionary Corps in France in the Aftermath of the Battle of La Lys, 9 April 1918.” By Filipe Ribeiro de Meneses.
- “Women, Violence and the Arab Revolt in Palestine, 1936-1939.” By Matthew Hughes.
- “Canadian Military Culture and Tactical Training, 1940-1944: The Making of Infantry NCOs.” By Caroline D’Amours.
- “Engineering the Fighter Pilot: Aviators, Anti-G Suits and Allied Air Power, 1940-1953.” By Peter Hobbins.
- “Stealing a March: The Superiority of the Imperial Japanese Navy’s Underway Refueling Capability over that of the U.S. Navy.” By David C. Fuquea.
- “Friction in Action: Revisiting the U.S. Army Air Forces’ August 1943 Raid on Ploesti.” By Kenneth Werrell.
- “’Scientific Ammunition to Fire at Congress’: Intelligence, Reparations, and the U.S. Army Air Forces, 1944-1947.” By Stephen Petrina.
- “Older German Officers and National Socialist Activism: Evidence from the German Volkssturm.” By David Yelton.
- “Sexual Violence during the Occupation of Japan.” By Brian Walsh.
- “Theodore Ropp’s Makers of Modern Strategy Revisited and the Course of Military History, 1945-1981.” By Michael P. M. Finch.
- "Determining Early Modern European Army Strength: The Case of Electoral Saxony." By Lucia Staiano-Daniels.
- "The Function of History in Clausewitz's Understanding of War." By Peter Paret.